Sunday, April 27, 2008

A lover too confident


This post was originally posted on dotkoyi.hobby-site.org, which is my home server on 20 January 2008. This home server has to be taken down due to some technical reasons.



I bought an iPod Classic 80GB last Thursday. The guy in the shop asked me whether I was using a Windows PC or a Mac machine, and said that this iPod only works on Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X more recent than 10.4.x. I said, “OK, but I have both types of machines so it shouldn’t be a problem.” or at least so I thought, although my iBook G4 is still running Panther which is version 10.3.x. I thought there might be some incompatibilities or lack of functions, but the basic functions should work well under Linux or Panther. But I was wrong. Apple did something to the new iTunesDB file in iPod making it impossible to work with other players except iTunes, and even Panther can’t handle iPod anymore COMPLETELY! I just couldn’t get it. If it works with iTunes in Windows XP, what is preventing it from working under Panther??? Disappointed :-(

However, I was lucky that the team at gtkpod (an open source iPod management software in Linux) had managed to reverse-engineered the problem and made iPod working again under gtkpod. Now I have been playing around with my new iPod for a few days with the help of newly compiled libgpod, gtkpod and gpodder, although I feel there are something wrong (I have only used an iPod Shuffle 512MB) so I don’t really know how other models of iPod should work :-P) like the not showing of covers and played podcast episodes don’t get sync’ed correctly with gpodder/gtkpod, I can still live with it :-)

Once again I have to say a big thanks to the open source world ;-)

And I have felt much disappointment in Apple. I am still somehow OK if they only block out other players but they have gone too far by blocking out their own OS, too. Those who know me know that I am a big fan of Apple’s products, but now I feel like being betrayed by someone I loved :-( Sigh.


No comments: