Thursday, July 27, 2006

Have you helped spread ads not knowingly?

I remember arguing over the genuinity of a short video clip circulated in the Internet with a friend some time ago. Unexpectedly, I found the answer this morning, here.

It is reported in BusinessWeek Online that companies are making advertisements so funny that viewers don't even notice that they are watching an advertisement themselves, and later on forward the ads to their friends. I believe that you have at least got some of these clips unknowingly, and might have forwarded some of your favourites to your friends :P

I myself have been enjoying watching TV commercials for a long time(Believe me, Japanese commercials are so funny :D), so I don't really mind this phenomenon of circulating funny ads through the Internet, as long as they make them funny enough. In fact, neither the sites, nor advertising companies, want virals to become the new online spam. So I think we can relax and enjoy ourselves.

However, just to avoid the same argument that I had with my friend over the genuinity of the video clips, I would appreciate that they at least put a statement stating that the clip is just a creation but not real :P

1 comment:

Jayne said...

It's never occured to me that fwds of such material would constitute as spreading advertisements for free! Hmm.. I guess like many others I'm an unsuspecting consumer.

I guess in terms of putting a disclaimer, it MAY be dangerous for kids to follow some of the ads (eg: there was recently an ad here depicting how strong the super glue was - he put some on his shoes and was stuck upside down on the wall!), but I guess (and hope!) most adults would know the difference between reality and fiction..